Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Oregon at Last

We drove from Boise to Portland today, and it was by far the prettiest part of the whole trip, particularly the Oregon section of the drive. I-84 through the Columbia River Gorge was simply "gorge"ous. Huge bluffs, mountains, vistas, the wide sparkling Columbia. I was thinking of Lewis and Clark conducting their westward explorations along the river, and it made me want to read on in the Ambrose book. I tried taking pictures, but there weren't many places to stop, and shots from the car just didn't do the landscape justice. You can't make out the vastness of the place, the steepness of the hills and the deep drop-offs of the cliffs. I also tried shooting video with my digital camera again, but the results weren't great, either. I'll post them just the same.

I urge everyone to see it first-hand at some point in his or her lifetime. It's magnificent!

Movie










This was a tree farm. A huge tree farm! Had to be a million trees, all in perfectly straight rows. I'm not sure about this, but I think the trees are planted in places that have been clearcut. I'm sure it does little to remedy the disaster.







I'm staying tonight in the Hollywood district of Portland. I think I'm going to relocate for tomorrow night. I don't like the hotel much, and there's no WiFi. I'm online at a cafe right now. I may go to the movies tonight. There's a cool theater near the hotel showing independent/foreign flicks.

Okay, better head back. Gussie will be getting lonely.

G.

6 Comments:

At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, to Barbara's brother. I'm Annie her friend here in New York. Originally from Oregon. I'm glad your loving my old stomping grounds. Makes me homesick. Love your pics. Sleep tight.

 
At 6:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. Whitehead- I didn't get the chance to thank you for your letter. I loved it; it was sweet. Our class misses you already, it's pretty different with a new teacher. Love the pictures, and that Whitehead sign back in the last post. Keep updating :) -Bonnie

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Gary said...

Is your name really Annie Hall? You don't know a guy named Woody, do you? :-)

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Gary said...

Hi Bonnie! Nice to hear from you. I'll keep the posts coming as long as I can. In two days I'll be installed out at the cabin, and then my log-ins will be few and far between.

 
At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey -- finally got a chance to check this out. So great, Ga. Kiss Gussie for me.

 
At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Barbara's brother. Wanted to hear if you were enjoying Portland tonight? Where'd you eat? Look into Jake's Crawfish. Yes, it's Ann-Marie Hall.. Annie Hall. Will you be going to the Oregon coast at all on this journey? It's a must. Be well. Your sister brought me eggs today. She's quite a gal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home