Thursday, April 07, 2005

Third Night

Well, I made it as far as Des Moines, and that was enough! I drove over 500 miles today -- across half of Indiana, all of Illinois, and half of Iowa. It was strange to see all the old, familiar exits coming through Iowa. Today was an easy day of driving, party because of the warm, sunny weather and empty midwest roads and partly because I listened to about four hours of Ian McEwan's new novel, Saturday. I'm enjoying it more than his previous book, Atonement. The protagonist in this one is a brain surgeon, and the story presents one Saturday in his life. I play it on the new iPod (thank you, generous students!), which is working out beautifully. I play it through a cassette in my car stereo and charge it using a cigarette lighter adapter. I've got about a thousand songs on there, too. On the first day of driving I listened to all my favorite songs from the Paste CD samplers.

Tomorrow will present road I've never traveled. The farthest west I've ever gone on I-80 is to Omaha. I'm hoping to get through all of Nebraska. Gotta check the map and see how far that is.

Okay, Survivor's on. Gotta eat up TV while I can!

Post comments, so I know you've been reading! That includes you, Mike. I know you're a lurker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home